[Bf-committers] Weight paint: display unreferenced verts in black instead of blue ?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Feb 14 17:27:36 CET 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
>>> So i have to ask back: Where would it be bad to get a visual
>>> information about unreferenced vs. referenced verts  using
>>> the black/blue color code ?
>> I would think that we should improve our tools so that there are never
>> any vertices part of a vertex group with weight zero, and not let the
>> user worry about this at all. Why burden the user with an
>> implementation detail?
> Because it is relevant for some usage scenarios outside of blender.

But I'm not sure that it is actually relevant outside of Blender, if
the exporters interpret zero and no weight as being the same thing.

> During weighting you unintentionally added some barely noticeable very low
> weighted areas in the head of your beloved character while you where
> painting
> on a foot bone.  yes this can be avoided, nevertheless it happens.
>
> Now try to find these verts on areas which do not belong to the active
> bone...
> Try to find less dark spots of blue in a sea of dark blue. Mimicry works
> well here :)

I agree entirely that it is difficult to see those vertices and that a
way to visualize them better would be great. But I think that such a
visualization tool should make no distinction between zero and no
weight vertices.

> Ok, i hear you telling me i can use the "clean weights" tool and be
> happy. But what
> if i intentionally WANT to have some weights to be set close to zero (or
> even zero) ?
> Then cleaning the weights might ruin my weight maps.

But do you really want a vertex weight set to zero and have the vertex
still be part of the group? What is the purpose of that, how is that
useful?

The way I see it is that from the user point of view there is no
difference between zero and no weight vertices. If exportes export
them differently then we should fix the exporters or the API rather
than exposing that difference in the UI.

Brecht.