[Bf-committers] SDL2-based GUI toolkit for Blender

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Wed Dec 11 11:11:18 CET 2013

On 12/09/2013 04:29 PM, hewi at jupama.org wrote:
[snip]

> Main point: quote:"was using Gtk+", - you also have wxwidgets and QT
> creator and others which are doing exactly the same thing as you are
> doing, creating a widget interface.  Before getting too deeply into this,
> did you do a study of all the alternatives out there?  SDL, which you are
> using, is apparently also not the best lib ...

Could you eleborate on why SDL is not the best lib? It used by Blender,
right (BGE). GLFW is a good option as well indeed. I think
OpenFrameworks just implemented GLFW as well.

> you should definatelly have a look at the BA thread #315530
> (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?315530), there is an
> active debate on the OpenGL libs interface to be used.  Bottom line
> basically for now is to stick to the GHOST system ...

There has been a lot of discussion on seperating the UI indeed. More
discussion than effort ;) so I really welcome an effort. I for one would
really like to be able to use Blender's UI standalone since creating
standalone programs for use with Blender now involves using a complete
different UI. Usually native OS, GTK or Qt likes.

So looking forward to the github repo as well as any development decisions.

Arnaud.
--
w: http://www.sphaero.org
t: http://twitter.com/sphaero