[Bf-committers] Add-ons in Blender for commercial services

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Wed Aug 28 00:28:33 CEST 2013

2 points speak against this:

1) Octane is commercial. There would be no benefit for the majority of
Blender users (like >99% I bet) , because they don't have a commercial
Octane license.
The plugin is not just Python code, it's a lot of C++ code which would
also make the binary bigger.

2) The Plugin is still in beta and the code (I got a copy from Otoy),
still needs quite some cleanups imo.

On a side note, we also don't bundle Luxrender, Yafaray... plugins (I
don't know the reasons for that though).

Am 28.08.2013 00:10, schrieb Sam Vila:
> Hi, looks like Octane Render just published all the source code and the
> necessary stuff for the Blender Foundation to be able to integrate this
> directly into the trunk. Are you aware about that? If so... why not doing
> it? This is a good chance to show that Blender is also able to deal with
> commercial third parties in a much professional relationship. Otoy just did
> his work, looks like now the ball is in the Blender Foundation side.

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org