[Bf-committers] Steam-powered Blender

brookesy at internode.on.net brookesy at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 14 10:28:59 CEST 2013

 I have been a long time user of blender for source modding, and have
been through all the add-ons that have been released. The most recent
SMD/DMX tools by Varsity (of facepunch) are by far the best, and are
really easy to use. The part that most people have trouble with in
source is the compilation process, so you would want to have an
automatic system for generating a .qc through the blender addon (like
the one used by GUIstudiomdl, for instance) for new users. The
.smd/dmx files and the .qc could be uploaded together and compiled
remotely (and locally for testing). This would maximize useability for
new modelers I think.

 Another major feature that would be very useful for modders is the
ability to create source materials for their models directly within
blender. At the moment there is no VTF support, so we use tga or png
and convert them externally. Blender already has a good material
system but being able to generate a .vmt from your material settings
would be great as well. At least the basics like phong/cubemap and
normals. These two features would immediately allow people who already
model with blender to make models straight away.

 Hell I have a whole list of stuff but I digress.

 I'd be up for providing training for modelers to use the tools, I
have already been making tutorial videos and such on youtube, but the
majority of my input has been streaming to online classrooms via
Livestream. I would love to help out in any way I can, be that testing
or providing some service to the community. My support is behind
providing Blender with the SMD/DMX tools already installed and
automatically maintained. Great that you guys are even considering
this!

 - Abe (Black_Stormy)