[Bf-committers] Steam-powered Blender

Jeffrey H italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 12:08:05 CEST 2013

I was thinking about SMD/DMX when I first saw this email. I think it would
be more intuitive for new users to find the SMD/DMX and potentially other
Valve addons included with Blender rather than having to go hunt for them
to add to a vanilla build. I know when I was a new user the task of finding
and installing addons was quite daunting and kept me in the dark from a
number of great tools (but this was only my own experience; I know most
users are far more savvy than I was). Plus, if the addon(s) are bundled
with the download, Steam could keep them up to date with the current
release (if I'm understanding Steam's software distribution correctly; I've
only done brief testing of the software system).

I am also not representative of the BF, but I do like the sound of this,
especially as one who has used Blender to play around with Source in the
past.

Jeffrey "Italic_" Hoover