[Bf-committers] M-Def Binding Accelerator

Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com zanqdo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:26:00 CEST 2012

Hi, there has been a patch for dramatically accelerating MDef binding
using BVH for around a year and a half. You can see the code review
here http://codereview.appspot.com/4529048/

And this is the updated patch for r50858 (thanks dfelinto)
http://www.pasteall.org/35522/diff

There where some concerns about precision so I proposed to do some
tests. Here's a comparison between the deformation result of a
character binded with trunk vs patched build

Active object is binded with the patch and orange (selected) object is
binded with plain trunk

http://www.3developer.com/tmp/mdef.png

I have highlighted the areas that showed some deviation from trunk.
This mesh is highly distorted by the mdef and moved many meters away
from the original position.

The strongest deviations are of about 0.002m

The binding times are 0:14s vs 1:32s, that's a speedup of 650%

On the practical side I have been using this patch since it first
appeared to bind many complex characters and I've got no problems with
it

Could we get it in for 2.65?

Cheers!

Daniel Salazar