[Bf-committers] Minimal hardware spec: SSE2

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Sep 7 14:18:04 CEST 2012

Hi all,

It seems to get become complicated to make a non-SSE build for blender, especially because OpenEXR now defaults for it. (We are receiving bug reports about it). Several newer components in Blender benefit from having SSE2 (like Cycles).

BTW: SSE2 was introduced in 2003 by Intel (Pentium 4 ) and in 2004 by AMD (Athlon 64). Every system you bought in past 6-7 years should support this.

Proposal is to drop official support for systems older than Pentium4 now. Even when it might still be possible to get it compiled or running - I'm talking about *official* support - in releases and for reports in our tracker.

Is that acceptable? Next sunday meeting we can formalize this as a decision.

Thanks,

-Ton-