[Bf-committers] Does Cycles waste half it's possible performance or am i wrong?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 28 18:53:03 CET 2012

Hi,

I guess i will have to do this to convince you. But it should be obvious
that the error of the sum of two samples divided by two is better then
to have only one sample and it's error, especially when the second
sample is nearly for free. If you take a look at the filtering of
Mitsuba then you will see that it are four samples at a time which
influence one pixel. In average (as you pointed out "0.9 vs 0.1") is the
same as having 2 full samples for a pixel.

Tobias