[Bf-committers] Freestyle branch review

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Wed Oct 24 20:07:02 CEST 2012

Hi,
A clear design is important and imo also a requirement for trunk
inclusion. It's indeed not only about the current state, it should also
be maintainable.

Just downloaded a build and checked the UI myself:
I agree with Brecht here, I don't think these panels should all be in
the Render Context. Also they should not appear at all, when Freestyle
is disabled. Having all these "Modifiers" is also confusing in a way.
Regarding the "engine" topic, it's not really a external engine, but
more a BI post process from what I understand. Usability should be
addressed by cleaning up the existing UI rather than trying to hide it
via an engine option or even an addon. Maybe a new Tab would solve this
best.

Anyway, when this gets included I would really like to see an "as
independent as possible" integration. At least via a Compiler flag which
can be disabled.

Regards,
Thomas

Am 24.10.2012 19:15, schrieb Brecht Van Lommel:
> Hi,
>
> I think we discussed this sort of thing before. In my opinion, either
> we support a feature officially or we don't. We'd still have to ensure
> the data structures are designed so that they can keep working in the
> future, we still would fix bugs, and need take the code into account
> when refactoring, etc. Hiding it behind an addon wouldn't help much.
> Maybe it gives us fewer bug reports because there would be fewer
> users, but for me it doesn't really address the main reason why you
> don't want to have all code from branches in trunk.
>
> Brecht.
>
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Tom M <letterrip at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Brecht,
>>
>> could code be included but the UI be treated as an 'add-on'?  Thus we
>> aren't committed to the UI and it can be evolved to be more 'blender
>> centric' but users aren't required to download a seperate binary to
>> work with the feature and developers can work off the main branch?
>>
>> LetterRip
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
>> <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was asked to look into the freestyle branch, to see what needs to be
>>> done to get it included in an official release. For those not familiar
>>> with how it works, there is some documentation here:
>>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Flokkievids/Freestyle

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org