[Bf-committers] Tiles status

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Fri May 4 20:02:32 CEST 2012

Hello all.

The testers say tiles is stable, only some crashes have been reported.
All known crashes have been solved.

There are some features that just work different in tiles. Some issues
are feature requests. And some issues can be done after merging. The
user documentation is still a bit behind, but there is not that much to
document. UI is 95% the same as the old compositor.

When merging to trunk, we will leave the old compositor in trunk. Just
for functional reference and for case we need to roll-back to it. When
all lights are green to release tiles. The old compositor will be removed.

We are ready to commit to trunk. How do we proceed?

There are some projects that can be started after Blender release 2.64 :
  * Buffered compositing: Tiles is not buffered. In some cases the old
compositor is faster. We can make tiles buffered.
  * 3d compositing: add 3d image planes to the compositor. really nice
for tracking
  * Canvas compositing: place an input anywhere on the canvas.
  * Update of the glare node: make it more professional :)

Greetings
Jeroen & Monique.
  - At Mind -