[Bf-committers] Fwd: Preparing Blender for GateKeeper

Benjamin Waller benjamin at mycontact.eu
Fri Mar 30 16:28:35 CEST 2012

Actually the important point here is, that the default setting in OSX
10.8 (Mountain Lion) will be to only allow signed software. (the user
can allow to run any software in the system settings, but probably a
lot of users would have trouble to start blender.)
atm, a developer can only sign an app, if he is member of the mac
developer program (99$/year) (at least I didn't find a way to get the
necessary developer id without signing up for that program).
I believe, Apple stated, the registration to sign an app would be free
in the future (probably when 10.8 is released).

Anyone who compiles custom builds of blender would have the same problem.
I guess, those who use builds from graphicall.org or create their own
are the more advanced users and would disable the gatekeeper function.
But in my opinion, the official blender release should be signed.

Benjamin