[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [44654] trunk/blender/source/blender/imbuf /intern/openexr/openexr_api.cpp: Fix for OpenEXR half float save function resulting in dark images saved

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 17:02:18 CET 2012

On Mar 5, 2012 1:32 PM, "Campbell Barton" <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason support for saving non-linear Imbufs was added is because
> float sequencer buffers were not linear (internally AFAIK they are
> still not - this is needed for sequencer float blending which differs
> with linear buffers),

This is absolutely correct and brings up a questionable design decision
made long ago. The sRGB non linear floats in the VSE pose several issues
now:

1) Incorrect blending (alpha overs, disolves, fades, etc.)
2) Degradation. With the sRGB LUTs in place, I suspect any export from the
VSE will be crunched to 16bpc via the LUT.
3) Architectural anomaly. This puts the VSE as the sole violator of the
rect_float is linear mode.

My thinking is that we should rectify this soon and make the VSE linear
float and provide a lower grade 16 bit LUT for display performance.

With respect,
TJS