[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting notes, 17 june 2012

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jun 17 17:35:35 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Here's notes from today's developer meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders

1) Blender 2.64 release

- The "BCon 3" (stabilize, bug fix) period has been extended to at least july 1st:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Bug tracker went slightly down to 293 (from 300). A lot of reports come in each day still!

- Suggestions: involve GSoC students with bugs too, if in their area of work. People can also help with triaging (just assign reports to someone). We can also limit the support we give... the bug tracker is really only meant for people to provide clear cases a developer can redo.

- Cycles: Brecht van Lommel works on optimizations (needed for Mango too), Ton will ask him to write about it on the blog.

- Tiles (compositor): Jeroen Bakker has important fixes/speedup ready too, will commit soon.

2) Other projects

- Jeroen Bakker went to the AMD Developer Conference, they're very positive and aim at getting cycles to run. No hard evidence or promises made though.

- Nicholas Bishop has a Mesh Undo proposal that needs feedback:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nicholasbishop/BMeshUndo

- Sergey Sharybin will work on the color pipeline for Mango, in a branch. We will use OpenColorIO for good transforms of linear float buffers (for drawing in UI), and ensure color input (swatches) map this inversed correctly. Also the confused alpha (premul/straight) pipeline will get tackled.

- Ton Roosendaal mentions there's a new blender.org header in progress:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/150286/Blender.org/Header/html-v1/home.html
(Images are temporary, it'll be easy to make new slideshows regularly)

- Ton also invites people to think of post 2.6 projects. A special focus for 2.7x and 2.8x? Suggestion: in all of 2013, BF focus on Blender itself (no open movies!).

3) Google Summer of Code

- Progress video by Antonis Ryakiotakis
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_eL_W5sorc&feature=plcp

- Ton mentions that still not every student is reporting (or reporting on a satisfying level). Mentors will be in contact with the students to get hem up to speed, midterm is in 4 weeks!

Laters,

-Ton-