[Bf-committers] Transform tool tweaks

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:48:23 CET 2012

Am 18.01.2012 01:16, schrieb Jorge Rodriguez:
> A quick note just so we can all remain on the same page. When I'm talking
> about rotation in this topic, I'm referring to when the user is rotating an
> object and the view remains the same. I'm not referring to when the user is
> rotating the view. This feature does not affect view rotation.
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Tobias Oelgarte<
> tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Why not leave the default rotation at R and make the following possible:
>>
>> R = Start with default rotation
>> Shift + R = Start with trackball
>> Pressing either R or Shift+R again will toggle the mode.
>>
> The feature I proposed in the top post of this thread makes pressing any
> transformation key (G, R, or S) a second time confirm the transformation.
Please not. I think this is disturbing, since what you do is to move the
mouse and to confirm it with a click. This is faster. It bugs me that it
destroys the option to add additional options to the tools by just
pressing the same button multiple times. That is very quick and
intuitive. I would not like to trade it against a "press again to confirm".
> I made this change because I feel it is a more expected behavior to new users
> - If you press a button to enter a rotation mode then you should be able to
> press that button again to exit it. Not all users will expect this
> behavior, but I don't think many users (other than existing Blender users)
> would expect that pressing the button again should retain the new mode but
> modify it. The number of former users (again not including existing users
> trained on the current behavior) is in my opinion much greater than the
> number of latter users.
That is the main difference. You speak about simple interaction for new
users. But i speak about fast interaction once learned. Yes this is a
compromise to make. Power users want the shortcut mechanisms as quick
and powerfull as possible. Nothing is more powerfull then a direct
shortcut or to press a button again to switch between different modes.
As an experienced (well trained) user i find it very practical to
confirm with the mouse, to switch options with the keyboard, and to
cancel an action by mouse or ESC/Strg+Z/Strg+Y.

To the "newbies". Would they really like to confirm an action by
pressing the shortcut twice? The most users i know start to press a
mouse button to confirm something. That goes for many things. An if they
did something wrong, the first thing they do is to press the undo
buttons or shortcuts.
> In short, I expect that many existing Blender users may not like the key
> rebind, but I think that letting the user press the R button twice to
> approve the rotation is a more intuitive behavior than pressing it again to
> toggle. In the end though, my proposal is very similar to yours:
>
> R = Start with default rotation
> Shift + R = Start with trackball
> R again = Confirm the current rotation
> Pressing Shift+R again will toggle the mode.
>
> So it's the same, but pressing R again confirms instead of toggles, which
> of course is the whole point of my patch.
>
> I'm pretty satisfied with this patch now, I'll be submitting it shortly.

I have to say: Personally i don't like this change. Pressing RR was a
very convenient way to switch the mode. :(