[Bf-committers] Blender App Central / Add-on Manager

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:32:03 CET 2012

> It would be good to avoid having to write our own linux-distro style
> packaging system, if we can keep it simple+workable we give ourselves
> a lot less problems.
>

> - Campbell

IMOHO;

I think there are two good systems that we can use as our models. One
is the Linux system like Ubuntu with the store or repository. It has
the advantage of being easy to use and a repository means that
everything is in one place. I would hate do see it be like MS with
open source where you have to go all over to find things and half
don't work and it is loaded with trojans.  The other is the Firefox
system of add-ons. Both systems are easy to use and centralized.

The other problem is that most add-ons are not well known. I
personally don't know what most of the add-ons in preferences do and
they are easy to activate and use. I guess this comes back to the
documentation problems that exist etc.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!