[Bf-committers] 3D Cursor and Border Select

Constantin Rahn conz at vrchannel.de
Tue Feb 28 10:14:54 CET 2012

+1

And why pressing shift in "RMB selection" to to expand you selection,
and with border select it's always an additional selection?
If you want to have "non additional selection" with border selection,
than you have to "select all" two times to have none selection, and than
you select the elementswith border select (no additional selection).
It would be consistent to select only the elements inside the border.
And if you want to have additional selection, than it should be shift
and drawing the border.

Two or three years ago, I have talked with Ton about it. There he said,
that it has something to do with the internal structure of blender. How
both selections are called.
But for the consistence and the workflow it should be the same way for
the user to make a new selection or to add something to an existing
selection.

The consistence is one of the main problems of the blender UI/workflow.

It's the same with the topic DingTo (thomas) has mentioned: See
"Inconsistent Object add" mail.
There is the different behavior of adding a default-object "box" and the
default-object "torus" with the usage of last used parameters.
There the answer was the same: "It has something to do with blender
internals, it's how the object is called" :(

The same with adding default-objects (like the cube or the torus) vs.
adding an object with python (add-on). The default-objects are generated
on the last active layer, but the python objects are generated on all
visible layers. ("active layer" is not accessible with python, it's on
Campbells to do).
(Try any add-on which adds an object, like eg. the bolt-factory)

There at first it was the same answer: "It has something to do with
blender internals, how the object is generated."

I won't hear that answer any more. :(
Please, set the focus more on the consistence and the workflow from user
perspective, and not how blender is working internal.

All these inconsistences are a nightmare for new users, and sometimes
for long time blenderheads, too.