[Bf-committers] MSVC2010 maintainer? Python 3.3 libs missing, or only me?

Chad Fraleigh chadf at triularity.org
Thu Dec 20 07:33:49 CET 2012

Hmm.. I've been able to get most everything (building so far in
VS2008) to work for VS2010/32-bit except the ilmbase/openexr ones
(even VS2012/32-bit gets that far after a missing win32.mak kludge for
jpeg). I've tweaked the config some (mostly for VS2012), but I didn't
think it was that much.

Things to note:

  - Make sure to compile them in dependency order. Right now this may
only be the zlib ones (as png expects that).

  - Are you using the SP1 version of VS2010 (assuming that doesn't
break your 64-bit stuff, if using the Express version)

I've uploaded a new version of the builder:

    http://www.triularity.org/download/blender/lib-builder.zip     (151M)
    http://www.triularity.org/download/blender/lib-builder-nosrc.zip   (3.6M)

Changes include:

  - The base directory was renamed from 'build' to 'builder'.

  - The *vc* directory names are now using *vs*. Even though people
seem to use them interchangeably, technically MSVC (M$ Visual C) [what
cl.exe gives] seems to be versions 15.0/16.0/17.0 for the Visual
Studio of 9.0/10.0/11.0 (aka 2008/2010/2012).

  - I replace using msbuild with nmake for cmake based configs (VS2012
wouldn't compile otherwise -- something about the toolset not found,
even though the VS2012 gui built them fine. -- Thanks for the
consistency M$!). And the reason I wasn't using the nmake form in the
first place was flawed.

  - Selecting the configuration doesn't require editing the makefile
anymore. Just use:

      nmake [PLATFORM=x32|x64] [TOOLSET_VERSION=9.0|10.0|11.0]
[PYTHON27_BIN=xxx] ...

  - Also you can skip the extra time it takes to build the debug
version of libs with the nmake var:

      NODEBUG=1      (note - didn't actually test that yet)

Oh.. and has anyone that's tried using this builder seen random errors
that tend to work fine if run again? Usually it's like an 'access
denied' error updating an .exe manifest, as if something else had the
file it just created open (I had the max cpu set to 1 to avoid
parallel commands but with no difference). Ever since last week when I
tried to compile cmake from source and AVG reported blocking some
trojan in one of it's exe's and then triggered AVG again in some of
the eval programs while running ./configure for another open source
source distro, I've been a little paranoid. Its like is it just a
false positive in some commonly compiled code fragments, or did
someone manage to hack the popular config utilities (like that one
compiler many years ago that would silently create another infected
compiler if used to build itself from source).

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, this file should replace the one under build/Makefile.nmake:
>> http://www.triularity.org/download/blender/Makefile.nmake
>
> With a bit more testing I found out that almost nothing builds in
> either 32 or 64 bits (on msvc2010). It would be nice if someone else
> with MSVC2010 could test this too.
>
> I created a simple batch to help me to generate a log for each library
> I wanted to build (the nasm stops running at the first error, so not
> so nice to test them all).
>
> The basic command invoked by the script was:
> nmake /f Makefile.nmake %LIB% 1>../build_logs/%LIB%_%PLATFORM%_out.txt
> 2>../build_logs/%LIB%_%PLATFORM%_err.txt
>
> Logs:
> http://www.dalaifelinto.com/ftp/tmp/win_blenderlibs_log.zip
>
> Batch file to generate the logs:
> http://www.dalaifelinto.com/ftp/tmp/library_build.bat