[Bf-committers] How & When could we support right-to-left languages?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Sep 15 19:09:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

Some pointers for people who like to dive into it:

Issue 1: typing text in buttons

source/blender/editors/interface/interface_handlers.c
functions called ui_textedit_...

It's all hardcoded to typing L->R now. Selecting, arrow keys same.

Issue 2:
Are numbers typed reverse too? I guess, but they don't draw reverse
right?

Issue 3:
Filepaths... is this reversed?

Issue 4:
Text drawing in buttons, there's alignment code hardcoded... needs to
be flippable.
Same for truncating rules of strings in Blender.

Issue 5:
Click in text button has very nasty code to detect which character is
found.

Issue 6:
Is increment/decrement button clicks the same still? Same for gesture
(left = lower, right is higher value).

All in all, it'll needs someone with quite some time figuring out our
UI code. It's unfortunately wrapped old sorta 90ies stuff here still.
Might be only possible by cleaning and structuring code partially.

-Ton-