[Bf-committers] Recast & Detour

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Sat Sep 10 22:45:35 CEST 2011

First time I can sit at my computer; I just saw the commits and comments
about the Recast & Detour merge. I will do my best to reply.

@Thomas: I know perfectly well that it's better to stay online after a
merge. But this merge took much longer than expected because I had to do
it manually (I was hoping to use svn reintegrate but it doesn't work).
As for postponing the merge, that was not possible considering my busy
schedule and the deadline for the branch mergers final. My only option
was to count on the community to fix the issues, which it did well.
Thanks to all and I'm very very sorry for the trouble.

@Bastien: thanks for finding this huge bug in the ModifierType enum. It
came from the last merge from trunk. I don't know how I missed it
because I checked for order issues in other files. I've been waiting to
do this merge for 1 year. It's not an excuse but it explains the
lassitude and approximation at the end.

About Linux errors: Nick and I are working on Windows. Testing on Linux
requires someone to build the branch and do extensive tests. As you
know, that does not happen. It raises again the question of branch
testing. Only trunk get tested fully.

@Campbell: having a C++ file in a C library is no problem if the all the
public functions in the file are declared with extern "C". You can see
it's done in navmesh_conversion.cpp. Yet this file has to be C++ because
it uses the recastnavigation library, which is C++.

About bad level calls: I understand the concern and I agree to find a
solution. Let's discuss this on IRC.

I see that modifications were done on the recastnavigation library to
make it work in Linux and OSX. This is not too good because it is an
external library. A better option would be to install a more recent
version of the library that fixes the bugs. Unfortunately this will
require another round of testing and I don't have the time to do that. I
will see if Nick can work on that. Otherwise we can live with a patched
library for now.

/benoit