[Bf-committers] Blender developer IRC meeting, October 2, 2011

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Oct 2 17:21:39 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Here's a summary of today's topics:

1) Blender 2.60 planning

- As planned, we're moving to "BCoN4" level now, which means all focus
and attention should go to the imminent release! Only crucial bug
fixes now.

- Joshua Leung: uncommitted the new "rna caches". This was meant to
allow (driver) updates of variable dependencies all over.
Unfortunately it was slowing things down too much, or get into cyclic
refreshing even.

- Sergey Sharybin: compositor can crash on load of files, has a fix
waiting for Lukas Toenne to check

- Jens Verwiebe: using gcc 4.6 for OSX goes fine and will be our
release. A (user preference) setting will be added for it, since OMP
can't use all threads optimally. Testing revealed that only 2-4
threads goes optimal. This info will need to get in release logs too

- Jens is also working on a Python Tkinter bypass for OSX Cocoa via
javascript.

- Ton Roosendaal reminds Joshua: can we get the red color in dopesheet/
action/etc to become a (less dominant) theme color?

- Ton noticed playback speed regressions for subsurf chars... has good
test case. Campbell Barton checks on it.

- Todo for next week: gather showstopper bugs. Campbell/Sergey/Brecht
will be on tracker duties for all week.

- Campbell: the recent "navmesh" merge is adding a modifier only for
3D window drawing. That should be not a modifier then, add as
exception in drawing code instead. He will contact Benoit Bolsee about
it.

- Next tuesday the first 2.60 Release Candidates will be built. The
following sunday we then review status and (probably) pin down the
release date.

2) Other projects

- Cycles can get ready soon, Brecht expects he'll merge it before
Blender Conference.

- Getting ready for 2.61: branches that are ready can notify that here
   http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Development/Merge_And_Integration_Plan

Thanks,

-Ton-