[Bf-committers] Cycles and Dynamic Paint - Problem with render but not preview

Mike S blenderdev at mikes.id.au
Sun Nov 13 03:39:47 CET 2011

Hi Douglas, et al

On 11/11/11 16:56, Knapp wrote:
 > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:50 AM, Mike S<blenderdev at mikes.id.au>  wrote:
 >> Hi all,
 >>
 >> Just playing with the latest build # r41746.  (built scons, gcc4.6.1 OSX
 >> 10.7)
 >>
 >> I was trying to get dynamic paint output to render on cycles. It does to
 >> some degree ( using the vertex colour option for the canvas on a
 >> subdivided plane)  I can see the correct result in the preview window
 >> but, if I render I only get the brush object rendered correctly and the
 >> canvas is black .
 >>
 >> See image : http://www.pasteall.org/pic/20441
 >>
 >> The preview I can refresh easily after scrubbing the animation by simply
 >> changing the preview window from Rendered to another mode and back again
 >> ( this would be good do automatically when the animation is stopped or
 >> static for a second or so rather than have to do it manually - same
 >> issue with fluid sims with cycles )
 >>
 >> However in the render window the canvas is always black. Not sure why
 >> this should be given the preview rendering should be the same engine as
 >> the final render?  Is this a bug or is dynamic paint in this mode
 >> (vertex) not supposed to work with Cycles?
 >>
 >> Cheers,
 >>
 >> Mike.
 >
 > I had a problem a lot like this with both particles. Does it not work
 > yet with them?

It does work with Object or Group particle type as long as they have
been assigned a Cycles shader type.  Halo/Hair/Strand shaders etc are
still to be implemented I believe.

 > I also had that problem when using image texture and then clicking the
 > first button with the little folded picture so that you can choose
 > preloaded images. It does not work but if you cick the file loading
 > button on the same line and load the pic it works. Maybe this info
 > will help? I have not filed a bug report on this yet, was planning to
 > confirm on a newer version first but if you do confirm I would like to
 > know so I can file the report, on the other hand I bet it is already
 > filed or known by now.

Yes I noticed that, I think there was a mention of something like this
in the commit messages a while ago.

You may have to set the Vector (mapping)  to "Generated" for it to work
(on a plane) or UV (on an unwrapped object) otherwise the default
"Default" Vector setting is mucked up and you get a smeared out colour
based upon the image.  I *thought* it used to work immediately with a
plane in the past although I could be mistaken.

My uncertainty is with the Preview vs. Render window visibility of
textures being different. I suspect it may be something to do with the
compositing side of things which is still to be integrated with Cycles
output.

Mike.