[Bf-committers] Support for XDG Base Directory Specification (patch attached)

Cosme Domínguez cosme.ddiaz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 02:04:22 CET 2011

Well, I made a patch that supports this standard. I tested it and it
seems work fine.

http://www.pasteall.org/25948/diff

Download: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/498/28943/18167/blender_add_xdg_base_directory_support.patch

It adds a build option (disable by default) so for the moment does not
imply any drastic change.

I know changing paths should not be done lightly... but:

* It's a FreeDesktop standard.
* Popular apps like Chrome, PulseAudio, VLC, Transmission,
 Qt Framework, Wormux, GStreamer... support it.
* There are more and more software supporting it or they are working
on it (Firefox and Gimp, for example)

This is NOT about just moving hidden .blender in a huge .config. It's
about separation of user data, preferences and cache element.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/

But for now the patch only supports XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR and XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

For more info check:

http://ploum.net/post/207-modify-your-application-to-use-xdg-folders
http://ploum.net/post/184-cleaning-user-preferences-keeping-user-data
http://stick.gk2.sk/blog/2009/03/the-ugly-duckling-called-xdg_config_home