[Bf-committers] Hardware support Policy

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:54:31 CEST 2011

For cards that are known not to work - the "Crash on select" or "It
reboots my computer" or "Blender has no interface",
we could fallback to Mesa/Software OpenGL.

This really isn't a fun job to set this up on all systems, but theres
nothing stopping us from doing it we really want to drop support for
older cards while keeping them working on a basic level.

It would be nice to have this ability anyway so users can check if
their bugs are hardware/driver related.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org> wrote:
> Hey Ton,
> I agree,
> I was worried about the second point especially.
>
> So, can everyone update his specs on this list please?
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Supported_platforms
>
> Thank you.
>
> Thomas
>
> Am 13.06.2011 14:46, schrieb Ton Roosendaal:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We can define this quite practically; there's just two guidelines imho:
>>
>> 1) The hardware as in use by the developers
>> 2) The minimal specs we agree on for acceptable code (to not hold back
>> development)
>>
>> This can be defined quite fair, and doesn't need to disqualify certain
>> brands or types or configs, unless the above doesn't apply :)
>>
>> -Ton-

- Campbell