[Bf-committers] Can we please stop breaking APIs?

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 21:37:13 CEST 2011

I've a 2.49 script I've been wondering when I should try updating to
2.5x, and I see now that the answer is NEVER.

That's ok.  I've found the documentation for the new scheme, and
possibly the new scheme itself -- though that is unclear -- almost
impenetrable.  Sticking with 2.49 might be the be best anyway.

Sphere.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope, the api is not stable and probably wont be until blender
> development ceases.
>
> Instead we document what changes/breaks between releases, and try to
> keep *reasonably* stable.
> http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_58_release/change_log.html
>
> As for this change, I didn't think this module was in wide use (the
> buffer part especially),
> 'bgl' was quickly patched to work with python3, this module got left
> behind with the initial api update/rewrite, still needs to be finished
> porting to py3 (slicing) and only got docs working again recently.
>
> While I'm not totally against deprecation in some cases I suspect
> you're one of the few people using this part of the API.
>
> A quick workaround to allow running with both versions.
>
> ls = buf.to_list() if hasattr(buf, "to_list") else getattr(buf, "list")
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello devs,
>>
>> I thought the 2.5 Python API was supposed to be considered "stable",
>> but lo and behold, a recent commit once again broke my scripts. The
>> commit in question changes BGL.Buffer.list to BGL.Buffer.to_list()
>> [1]. Bgui[2] makes use of BGL and is now broken. Furthermore, if I fix
>> Bgui to work with Blender trunk and I release a version of Bgui before
>> Blender 2.59 (which is possible), then Bgui would have a requirement
>> of needing an "in development" version of Blender. If we're going to
>> be changing APIs, can we at least keep old things around as
>> "deprecated" for a release or two?
>>
>> [1] http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2011-July/037581.html
>> [2] https://code.google.com/p/bgui/
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Mitchell Stokes
>>

> --
> - Campbell

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.