[Bf-committers] blender-snapshot

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 08:24:56 CET 2011

Dan, since you added the debian package spec best you to make decisions on this.
If its a simple rename I can commit otherwise send in a patch.

On a related topic, just moved release/VERSION vars into BKE_blender.h
This way we can construct version strings from scanning the header in
either format...
  "2.56a-beta" - external release name we use on blender.org.
  "2.56.2" - internal version string using subversion, internal blender use.

the string thats currently 'beta' could be used to detect if blender
is a release or not for generating packages.
the value could be set to 'alpha/beta/rc/release', and check for
'release', to made a package without the svn revision included.

I'd rather not become too involved in packaging discussions, devs who
maintain package spec's can choose which name, version string to use
which fits with their own distro/package guidelines.

- Campbell

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Dan Eicher <dan at trollwerks.org> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure simply changing the name of the .deb package to
> blender-snapshot doesn't actually fix the 'bug' that was reported.
>
> >From what I understand the 'a' -- i.e. 2.49a -- was the issue and not
> the package name which the debian folks solved by converting the
> subversions to numbers, 2.49a = 2.49.1, 2.49b = 2.49.2, etc...
>
> And, to top it all off, the blender-snapshot package conflicts with
> the regular (stable) blender package so you can't even have two
> different versions installed which is the only valid reason I can come
> up with to have a different name.
>
> To summarize, the issue is the way *blender* names releases and has
> nothing to do with the debian package (which is what I said multiple
> times in the bug report).
>
> So, not a bug and as author of the original patch I'd appreciate if
> the name were changed back.
>
> Dan

- Campbell