[Bf-committers] blender-ocio

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Aug 1 17:36:55 CEST 2011

Hi Xavier,

You might want to check on older docs we wrote about all of this.
Like here: (messy!)
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Imaging/Colour_Management

Matt wrote a very nice summary of what he intended to work sofar:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-vfx/2011-July/000124.html

Before any coding works continues, I'd prefer to have a good top level
design doc in place first. This both on end-user level (how to
interact with color data) as on technical design level (how this data
works, flows, gets stored).

Once that's fully clear we can discuss code and implementation much
better.

I realize it's easier for an experienced Blender coder to write it out
though... :)
My preference is also to keep it as simple as possible. Color theory
in itself is more than complex enough already. We can make practical
choices what to do really well, and where we restrict ourselves to.
For me Blender remains a 3D creation program first; for that target we
should fit perfect in studio color pipelines. Another target would be
to ensure video/film/photography in/out works.

Laters,

-Ton-