[Bf-committers] Patch #24042: Toggle visibility/renderablilty for object and all child-objects

Torsten Rupp torsten.rupp at gmx.net
Tue Sep 28 09:02:41 CEST 2010

Dear developers,

I just created patch entry #24042 "Toggle visibility/renderablilty for
object and all child-objects" in the patch tracker. This patch is a
proposal for changing the behavior of the toggle
visibility/renderablity buttons in the outliner a little bit.

What the the patch changes:

When you have multiple objects which are linked via the parent
relation to some main-object (many times this is an "Empty"-object)
and you click on the toggle buttons for visibility and renderability
for the main-object the visibility and renderability of that object
only is changed, not the visibility/renderability of the
child-objects. This is IMHO a little confusing and annoying, because
to change the visibility/renderability of the whole multi-part object
you have to click on each child-object (please correct me if this
functionality is already there and I did not find it). With the patch
the visibility/renderability of all child-objects is toggled, too,
except those which are not selectable. Thus making the whole
multi-object visible/renderable resp. not visble/renderable. The
not-selectable-exception is IMHO useful if some object should e. g.
never be shown or rendered, like helping objects for making holes in
some other object etc.

Please let me know what you think of this patch.

Torsten