[Bf-committers] extension clause

john grant johnkonradgrant at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 16:25:53 CET 2010

I just wanted to thank those that are trying to help Blender be used in the
mainstream.  The community seems to resist fundamental changes that could
promote the use of Blender in the mainstream.  A recent poll shows that 50% or
so of the community are hobbyists with only a few years experience.  I can see
how hobbyists will not recognize the benefit that can be added by a community
with a vested interest in Blender development.  However, I think it is somewhat
destructive if professionals using Blender do not recognize the benefit from
commercial participation.  I think fear is the root, but I'm not sure what the
fear is founded on.

I'm a developer at a very small company (not in Silicon Valley).  We use open
source tools and SDKs.  I have provided answers in the community forums,
provided patches for bug fixes and feature improvements to the OSS projects.  My
participation in their communities is only possible because a layman's read of
their licenses is enough to know that my company can not be harmed by using the
OSS.  It's a win-win situation for these projects and my company.  I had hoped
to continue this working model with the Blender community.  Because there is no
protection for companies that want to extend Blender, I can not recommend we use
Blender in our work processes.  Since we can not develop tools that integrate
with Blender, we have been forced to integrate with Autodesk tools.  Our clients
are familiar with the Autodesk tools and are happy about our choice.  The
Blender community has lost a chance to introduce itself to our clients.  It is
unfortunate in my eyes.  If this is the situation that the Blender community is
promoting, I'm sure another project will eventually appear and fill the demand
that Blender is ignoring.  An OSS project with a goal to support a professional
community will surely do well.