[Bf-committers] Blender security: any Onload functions?

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 21:25:14 CEST 2010

Well, since it's open source, why not just change the source and compile?

Given the amount of Security! discussion, it must be relatively simple to
somehow force Blender to execute a script.

Perhaps you could create a dos shortcut such as blender -b myfile.blend -p myvirus.py
and then over-ride scripts at startup as if you were a trusting soul. It's what we do
when we make an RPC call to the cloud to make a render...so if that script was
malicious, it should work. How malicious depends on what Python allows you to do.
At a minimum, you could write garbage out to 50 files; demonstrating that in theory you
could keep going until the disk filled up, which would be a real pain in the butt for windoze.

In 2.5, in Python, you could create a panel and a button that, when clicked,
runs a script. Call the button "Make Awesome Movie" in a Presets panel
or "Make Awesome MMORPG" and everyone is sure to click it.

--Roger

Check out my website at www.rogerwickes.com for a good deal on my book and
training course, as well as information about my latest activities. Use coupon
Papasmurf for $15 off!