[Bf-committers] OnlyDeform modifiers applying before tesselation

Sergey I. Sharybin g.ulairi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 22:14:09 CET 2010

Hi, Blender community

There is such disadvantage of current curves: u can't use deformed by
modifier curve as target for such things as "Follow path" constriant and
"Text on a curve". For user it looks like undeformed curve is using. If
u look in the code, u'll see that curve path (which is needed for
handling things i've told in first sentence) is calculating from
BevList, which is calculating before modifiers and creating displist.
But this bevlist creates after applying pre-tesselation point modifiers.
For now this modifiers are hook, softbody, meshdeform. But maybe we
could apply any OnlyDeform modifier before tesselation if there is no
bevel object set to this curve? In this case path will be calculated
from deformed curve and all should work as user expects.

I've tested a bit this idea and it worked fine. What community will say?

--
With best regards, Sergey I. Sharybin