[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 71, Issue 16

Michael McLay mclay at mjmoi.com
Sun Jun 6 12:54:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Brendon Murphy <meta.androcto1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Brendon Murphy <meta.androcto1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Do we have a list of 2.4x scripts to port anywhere?
>
> > Brendon's Reply:
> Not that I know of. It would be good to have.
> Currently most people are doing what interests them only.
> I guess people are waiting on bmesh & the api.
> Hopefully after Durian & gsoc there will be more interest.
>
> +ZanQdo replied:
> The huge import export collection in blender was a big plus, we need
> to redo this scripts ASAP. I'll try and do at least my old
> exporters/importers. Also the issue with OBJ scrambling the face order
> is urgent to fix, makes point transferring very hard

  Bmesh was one month away from being integrated into the trunk back in
March. Then Joe was hired by Blender.org to help with development. What
happened? I thought hiring Joe was a great decision and that it would
accelerate bmesh. I anticipated bmesh being rushed into the trunk. Instead
bmesh has gone cold. I'm sure Joe is doing great things, but pulling him off
of bmesh has inadvertently held up progress for many other volunteers who
would otherwise be developing addon scripts for Blender 2.5. The absence of
ngons in the blender 2.5 model has quite likely held up work on writing
tools to import and export CAD data files and Google SketchUp files. There
is data loss when reading models that contain ngons into a tool that doesn't
support them. It also makes the translators harder to write. The scripts
will start show up when bmesh is in the trunk.

I am very grateful to the many volunteers who have the ability to write very
complex software required to make blender work. They have created an amazing
tool. I hope bmesh will pop up on the priority list soon. I suspect Durian
is driving the development effort and it probably pays the bills for
Blender.org. The rush is on to complete the film on time and I wish the
project good luck.