[Bf-committers] Proposition: Multilayer EXR support

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Jan 29 23:08:51 CET 2010

Hi Ton, I investigated this issue a little while ago.

OpenEXR has a setting - 'line order' which does let you choose the
direction, when saving non-tiled (scan-line) EXR files. This is what
we use normally, and works great.

However when saving tiled EXRs, the line order setting is reused to
mean something different (which I think is strange). For saving tiled
EXRs, it refers to the order in which the tiles are written. For
saving multilayer EXRs, we use RANDOM_Y, rather than INCREASING_Y or
DECREASING_Y, which means the tiles can be added in any order (so we
don't need to wait until we have the entire list of tiles in
sequence). You can see this here [1] on page 9.

The problem is that this line order setting is reused, and in the
context of tiled EXRs, it doesn't refer to the actual scan line order
any more. For tiled EXRs, it assumes top-to-bottom scan lines, which
is why Blender's multilayer EXR files come up flipped vertically when
loaded into most other applications.

Although this doesn't make a difference for Blender on its own, it is
a problem when trying to work with other applications in a pipeline,
and I think it would be nice if this could be solved. Either:
a) by complaining to the OpenEXR people for a new option in the lib,
and waiting for it to get rolled out in updated versions (could take
years before support is widespread)
b) flipping our multilayer EXR tiles as they're read/written

cheers,

Matt

[1] http://www.openexr.com/TechnicalIntroduction.pdf