[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5 Python API Introduction.

Elia Sarti vekoon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:14:57 CET 2010

Hi, now that introductory tutorials and howto's-like documentation is
starting to be written down I'd suggest we bring up again the topic of
naming. I understand this could be seen as topic hijacking, but well...I
have a bomb!

Although pretty much settled all over the API there are still some
places which are inconsistent in regards to naming. Maybe you remember
we already talked about this in IRC.

The main issue is all that BLABLA_BLA_somestuff naming style that
although perfectly reasonable C side where you don't have namespaces or
packages or anything like that, doesn't really fit in Py code,
especially considering that some parts, like for instance operators, are
already converted to the dot naming syntax.

The very easy solution for this, considering that all these names are
actually stored as C strings so can be anything really, is that we adopt
dot-syntax for all of these in all places and keep the
BLABLA_BLA_somestuff syntax only for C code names. This would keep the
code from having to convert back and forth between Py naming and C
naming and would also be easy to implement and could be done quickly for
ops, panels, headers, etc.

Of course I don't mean this as an unilateral absolute truth so any valid
counter-argument is well accepted.