[Bf-committers] Fwd: Surface from particles (Farsthary)

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 21:13:13 CET 2010

The usual method is to use a marching cubes/tetrahedron implementation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_cubes
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/geometry/polygonise/index.html
http://www.proxyarch.com/util/techpapers/papers/survey%20of%20marching%20cubes.pdf

and here is a marching tiles algorithm used for fluids

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rbridson/docs/brentw_msc.pdf

Other options are point splattering, carpeting (ie dual carpet quadtree)

Ie see

Realistic and interactive simulation of rivers
P. Kipfer, R. Westermann
Proceedings of Graphics Interface 2006 (2006)
Publisher: Canadian Information Processing Society Toronto, Ont.,
Canada, Canada, Pages: 41–48

http://www.kipfer.de/data/GI2006.slides.pdf
www.cs.nthu.edu.tw/~chunfa/PG08_1227.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoothed-particle_hydrodynamics