[Bf-committers] Patch: New functionality for background images

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 02:06:48 CET 2010

Hi, read over the patch and tested. Looks good. this has been a user
request since a long time so good on ya for adding it.
 +1

Some other things, not directly related to this patch, but background
images in general.

- Placement is currently cumbersome, what about using an object to
place images? - realize having an empty for each image could get
annoying too but would allow for easy rotation too. Failing that we
could have a button that places the image based on the active object
but still stores its own coords.

- UI, quite huge now, could get rid of premul options here I think,
option to fold images would be good too (flag in BGPic struct).

- Foreground images: An option to draw the image infront of everything
would be handy, when using blender I used to add alpha planes infront
of the object. or force an object to be in wire view so the textured
object behind it would show. more a feature request but its useful
when you don't want to obscure the image by your model.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Bjørnar Hansen <tilbjornar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As a project to get to know the sources of blender better, I've worked
> on a patch which enhances the background image setting for the 3D
> view.
>
> What I've done is to replace the single BGpic in view3d with a
> Listbase, so we can have several background images. I've also added a
> flag to the BGpic struct, which saves what view orientations the image
> should be displayed in.
>
> I've put the patch on pasteall, here: http://www.pasteall.org/10417/diff
> It's tested against rev. 26085.
>
> As I'm a newbie when it comes to coding I could not make everything
> work as it should.
> Here's a list of questions / things to check for:
>
>  * I tried to patch up read- and writefile.c, and reading and saving
> files 'works for me'. I don't know if I'm doing it right.
>  * The code for restoring bgpics from older files needs to be written
> (in do_versions).
>  * I added a remove_background_image operator, but it doesn't work.
>  * The UI is rather ugly and could use some work. Maybe have the
> settings box for each image collapse like for modifiers?
>  * The images do not show in camera view
>  * Not sure about the memory freeing code in space_view3d.c
>

> - Bjørnar (anachron)

- Campbell