[Bf-committers] New Developer Meeting minutes

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Thu Jan 7 08:46:58 CET 2010

Roger Wickes wrote:

> We held our second monthly new developer meeting(http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:SundayMeetingAgenda/NewDev_meetings)
> on Sunday, attracting x new developers to the Blender family.
> Minutes are here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:SundayMeetingAgenda/NewDev_meetings/2010-01-03rd.
> We discussed Build systems, Patch Submission, and Python, with a focus on Cmake versus Scons.

Hi, great to see that the second new dev meeting has been held - too bad
I couldn't be there, since SCons has been talked about, too.

I feel I have to make a small comment though:

SCons never does a full recompile, when it is not necessary (and it
hardly ever is). So in that sense, SCons will also do incremental
builds. Sure, it does read in the SConscripts, but *that is not
equivalent to a complete rebuild*. It does pose some slight overhead
when starting a build, but that should not be the reason to start
favoring CMake over SCons. Again: SCons builds only what is needed.

When doing a clean rebuild, (remove *everything* created by SCons/CMake
before doing your build), I assure you that you won't find useful
differences in build times.

I have started writing out docs on the SCons system on my blog
http://www.letworyinteractive.com/b/building-blender-with-scons/ (see
also the top navigation for more links). More info there will gradually
be published as I get it all written out. It already contains good info
on how the configuration of the system goes.

/Nathan