[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes, sunday january 3, 2010

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:39:43 CET 2010

While this isnt what I had in mind I don't see why not - C/Python
modules would only need to get width, height char and float buffer
(pointers) and they can do their own thing.
Now you mention this it could also be used to write out images to
formats blender doesnt support which could be useful for some
rendering engines.

On this topic, I was thinking that since these modules wont be linked
with blender that we wont be able to make use of blenders utility
functions - memarena, ghash, linked lists etc...

So Id suggest these modules use C++ with STL, since blender uses
PyC-API/C++/STL for the game engine - this makes doing things like
importing some fileformat and that needs to be resizing a vector array
of verts a lot easier then in plane C and avoids everyone
writing/depending on external utility libs.

Since each module will be standalone its really up to the author to
choose C or C++.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Roger Wickes <rogerwickes at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Campbell, I was trying to do some image processing in Python, where I wanted to move chunks of an image around, but it was so slow working at the pixel level, copying each one individually, and I longed for a block memory move for array type info such as pixels. Do you think these modules will help with that?

> Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.

- Campbell