[Bf-committers] BlenderPocket and iPhone/iTouch

Dustin Martin dustin at 54.org
Sat Sep 26 00:05:05 CEST 2009

Hey there,

This is an interesting idea but your biting off a lot more than you
think trying to get blender working on an iPod touch.  The resources
are a very tight to begin with and the first few generation of devices
can only support about 30 megs of memory for blenders runtime, with
about 20 megs of texture memory.  iPhone 3Gs and later have more
memory but its still very limited.

Cocoa and CocoaTouch share the Foundation framework for NSObjects and
such, but all of the UI components are CocoaTouch and are not
computable with Cocoa.  The work that is going on right now to get
blender working with Cocoa can be used but that project is still
experimental.

OpenGL ES is not backwards computable with OpenGL either so any code
in blender using OpenGL immediate mode would have to be rewritten,
this use to be everything having to do with UI rendering but maybe
this isn't the case any more.

The last big issue would be the user interface.  You would have to
redesign how blenders UI works in order to use it on a device with
less than VGA graphics resolution.  It can be done, but don't expect
this to be easy.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but I wanted to take a
moment to point out the technical issues of this endeavor.  Best of
luck and if you do create it.  If you do go threw all of the trouble
sell it, make an account on the iTunes store and sell it for $10.

- Dustin