[Bf-committers] Environment Variables for scripts and plugins

lorenzo pierfederici lpierfederici at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:29:06 CEST 2009

umh... +1/2, -1/2 from me
I work in pipeline too and had to face the same problems, and I've found
Maya's solution very unsatisfactory ;)

here are a few ideas on your points:

- $HOME/blender/<...>
this has been discussed a bit already, my idea is that blender should NOT
create or use a visible directory into the user's home (like Maya does).
Every OS has its way of dealing with app data and config, and we should
follow that.

- BLENDER_SCRIPTS, BLENDER_PLUGINS, BLENDER_ICONS
I agree on this, it would be very nice in a larger pipeline if we could
define a list of path (and precedence) to layer resources. Defining only
"system" and "user" at compile time is a bit limiting, as you stated we
should be able to define
BLENDER_SCRIPTS=/path/to/user/scripts:/path/to/project/scripts:/path/to/studio/scripts:/path/to/system/scripts

- BLENDER_PROJECT
I think this is not needed and would be confusing to use (and I _HATE_ when
Maya creates project dirs all over the place) ;)
In a small project Blender already works very well with scenes, relative
paths, packing resources, etc.
In a bigger project you don't really want resources in the shots
directories... you want (for the 3d part) just an animation .blend file
referencing characters, props and layout from a project-wide library, plus
local caches.
This kind of references should not be managed by Blender (or any other
single tool), but by a stand-alone asset manager that can deal with assets
from multiple tools and manage versioning, comments and approval history,
especially because in bigger projects you will always need multiple tools!
Having to deal in the same shot with Blender projects dir, Maya project dir,
<compositing tool> project dir, <paint tool> project dir, <audio tool>
project dir... and all without versioning... is pipeline hell! :)

Then in each tool there will be hooks to retrive things like "current shot",
"characters directory", "textures directory" from the assets db to improve
productivity in action like CTRL-O or SHIFT-F1.

- on env variables in general
a few months ago I wrote a micro patch to allow env variables in library
paths:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=18581&group_id=9&atid=127
if there is any interest I can try and see how to make it work for 2.5

...I'd be more than happy to discuss these things, see you on
#blendercoders? my nick is lento

cheers,
lorenzo