[Bf-committers] Setting a default system scripts directory

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 19:32:42 CEST 2009

Charles, see source/blender/blenlib/intern/util.c gethome_path_user
you could add OSX, Windows IFDEF's to point wherever..

I was expecting the layout of ~/.blender to change a bit (as Brecht
said earlier), as for moving it to some other place, renaming it... Im
not fussed OSX and Win32 are also not my area. Could someone else herd
the cats into some agreement?

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Charles Wardlaw
<cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com> wrote:

>> > I see your point about ~/.blender being hidden and not ideal, one
>> > thing that could help would be menu item in blender to manage &
>> > install scripts so users dont have to deal with ~/.blender (Needed for
>> > OSX too), this is a workaround, it could be called ~/blender too but
>> > this isnt the unix way. Ugh!... I dont have a good solution for this.
>>
>> On OSX it should probably be ~/Library/Application Support/blender
>

> We ran into issues with Blender and Vista and the home directory not saving
> properly, too.
>
> I'm not particular about how people do it on the pure unix side (.blender
> works fine; although I'd prefer a ~/blender folder so it's more easily
> accessible from outside the command line), on both Windows and OS X I
> recommend choosing not the application support folder, but the Documents
> folder.
>
> I think that a ~/Documents/Blender folder is great because it's a place
> everyone knows to go, and you never have to worry about permissions.
>  Certainly Blender could put its official scripts into ~/Library/Application
> Support/blender or C:\users\userName\Local Settings\ (or AppData or whatever
> it is), while the Documents folder holds user scripts and the .b.blend file.
>
> I think second on the list should be renaming the .b.blend to
> default_scene.blend or default.blend, too.
>
> This system (having the user files in the Documents folder) works great for
> Maya, and would be very intuitive for new users.
>
> ~ C

- Campbell