[Bf-committers] Setting a default system scripts directory

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:33:03 CEST 2009

Committed initial support for system path for details see...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Unix_FHS

CMake  "make install" target added.
Currently this only works for scripts and finding the bundled python.

SCons: scons WITH_BF_FHS=1 BF_INSTALLDIR="/usr/local"

no make yet.

@Matrin, local data files override system files as you suggest so you
can always extract blender tar.bz2's and the system files wont
override the bundled ones.

One thing that isnt so nice is each build system has to have its own
version string defined so it knows where to copy the files too.
 in most cases - /usr/share/blender/2.5

It could parse the header with a python script and extract the version
or run blender --version but its not that simple if you need the
version before blenders built.

Only bpy_interface.c used BLI_gethome_folder so other parts of blender
will need updating to use this or some similar function.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM, GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> brecht at blender.org (2009-09-19 at 2123.15 +0200):
>> I don't remember reading this, but found it now. Seems it has a lot of
>> the same ideas and has good specs to follow.
>> http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/config-layout-and-file-handling-250.mbox.txt
>>
>> I tend to not get involved with design discussions unless there is
>> also a developer writing the code for it. If you were intending to
>> write the code, I'm sorry for not providing feedback, this wasn't
>> really clear to me from that mail.
>
> And I tend to not code without a design, it saves discarding code due
> to errors that could had been discovered in that first step. ;]
>
> GSR

- Campbell