[Bf-committers] Setting a default system scripts directory

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 20:03:23 CEST 2009

--- On Sat, 9/19/09, Brecht Van Lommel <brecht at blender.org> wrote:

> I agree with the proposal basically. The folder ~/.blender
> should be
> the place for the user to configure & add things,
> while
> $PREFIX/share/blender or ./.blender should be used for
> files that come
> with it.

Agreed.

Does that mean we're dropping support for having the .blender folder next to the binary? This is useful when running different branches with the same version number (think GSOC).

If that's kept (I hope it is), I propose that <bin>/.blender takes priority over ~/.blender (IIRC, that's what it does right now).

> One thing I'm not sure about is how to deal with different
> versions.
> My preference is to use /usr/local/share/blender/2.5 over
> /usr/local/share/blender-2.5, but that's a detail.

Not too fussed about that too. I think the second one (no subfolder) is more common on Linux.

> Do we use a version number inside ~/.blender? I may be
> useful to let
> Blender look into ~/.blender/2.5 and then ~/.blender. This
> way you
> could install scripts for particular versions, but not
> necessarily
> worry about it if you don't want to.

KDE uses a folder with the version number (.kde4.1, .kde3.5, ...) with a symlinked folder as default (.kde). I assume that it would look for the base folder (.kde) and if not there, look for a matching version folder.

Not sure if we want to go that way or not, just throwing the idea.

> Further, I think we should move .B.blend, .Bfs and .Blog
> into
> ~/.blender. I think Ton wanted to split up .B.blend into
> parts also,
> it may be better to avoid writing too many files in the
> home directory
> and keep them together in a folder.

Agreed. That would have taken care of the need for a .B25.blend file right away.

Martin