[Bf-committers] Loopcut tool

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Wed Sep 16 15:49:04 CEST 2009

I see there was a new commit for a Ctrl-R-LMB for loop cut. I'm guessing
that's a response to my mail to this list from yesterday? Hard to tell
with no additional information and no recorded discussion...

I was thinking about this last night, and wondered if this isn't
something that should wait for macros. Really, that's what the nice
functionality of the old tools was -- several discreet tools chained
together in seamless sequence. First, you got a previewable loop select,
which rolled over/integrated with an ability to choose multi-cut and
slide the not-yet-cut edge, which rolled over into a tool that actually
made the cut(s).

This seems like an ideal case for a macro. As long as there are ops for
loop select, cutting along a selected set of edges and edge slide, you
can macro this. In the end, you could do all of these steps
individually, but from a tools standpoint, the user would use the
command (or key, tool button) to trigger the Loop Cut Macro which:

Does the interactive loop select,
Cuts,
Lets you tweak the cut operator afterward for both multiple cuts and
edge slide.

Sound reasonable?

--
Roland Hess