[Bf-committers] FFMPEG in extern

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Sun Sep 13 21:01:06 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

tonight, I finally found out, what made Blender crash on certain DV-files
with the official version of ffmpeg, which was my last show stopper on
removing ffmpeg from extern. (It was in fact a bug in Blender, that
triggered an even nastier bug in ffmpeg... for the curious: do never ever
seek on a ffmpeg stream that just failed to decode a video frame...)

So: if nobody complains, we could remove

extern/ffmpeg
extern/libmp3lame
extern/x264
extern/xvidcore

now, since using system libs (or at least very recent SVN-versions of the
mentioned libs) should be fine.

If nobody complains, I'd remove those libs and update the config files
accordingly next weekend.

We should state somewhere within the docs, that official blender releases
should at least contain a ffmpeg release build against recent static
versions of those libs. (or we pin down a certain SVN release, that we
consider stable, I'm open for opinions here.)

Regards,
Peter

----
Peter Schlaile