[Bf-committers] poll: uv/col mirror might not work for bmesh ngons

Wael EL ORAIBY wael.eloraiby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:14:56 CEST 2009

It seems that this feature lacks interest, no one seems to use it, for
now I think it is better to have it removed. The axis orientation was
not right even, once you do an orientation it goes to the next. I
believe we should have it removed. (this goes also for color). The
reverse have the same issue for ngons with odd vertex count. maybe a
new UI method should be developed for that, till then better move to
something of more interest.

To Joe: I will comment both (mirror uv and colors), and proceed on
with color rotation.

Wael

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Campbell Barton<ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> for now I think its fine only to mirror quads.
> with ngons it would make more sense to an option to reverse the UV's,
> but no need for this short term.
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Wael EL ORAIBY<wael.eloraiby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been working on porting some of the old mesh code to bmesh with
>> the help of joe, so far things were been well ported. However, some
>> features like uv/col face mirror in 3D view (NOT UV/Image editor)
>> while in edit mode won't work for bmesh (while in 3D view - edit mode
>> - select a face and press Ctrl-F). The reason is simple, the old code
>> relied on polygon to be  a quad or a triangle, (although for triangle,
>> the mirror was a bit awkward). This feature won't work for n-gons
>> where n > 4, simply because there are many axis to choose from. So the
>> question is:
>> 1. do we ignore this feature? how many ppl actually use it (last night
>> at the irc channel no one responded) ?
>> 2. do we only take care of the triangle and quad for the moment ?
>> 3. do we make a user interface for choosing the axis relative to
>> mirroring - in this case, I have an idea, but is a bit complicated for
>> a feature that very few actually use. This time could be spent porting
>> other part of the code or adding new features.
>>
>> Tell me what you think.
>>
>> Wael
>>

>> --
>> Wael El Oraiby