[Bf-committers] blender2.5's new IK

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Sep 1 03:06:40 CEST 2009

Goat Man wrote:
> What about just having a way to save the current frame as a
> "cache-save-point", this takes whatever state its in and saves for later
> recall by the solver.  Changes before the cache-save-point will NOT update
> this saved cache.  Then the animator can place these cache points to have
> predictable results where he needs it.
This doesn't sound too good to me. If you're talking about replacing the
existing IK, animators should be able to use it the same way. No extra
steps and hurdles, no caching to keep track of, no save points, no
superfluous keyframes added. Animators need to be able to quickly and
easily go to any frame in the animation and tweak poses immediately,
working entirely fluidly. They also need to be sure that the pose
they're looking at on screen is what they're going to get.

I hear in this thread about problems in the existing IK system, but in
my experience (animation) I've never seen problems in practice, nor have
I heard our animators/rigger complain about it either. I understand it
may not work well for robotics, and it's good to make life easier for
people working in this area. However robotics is not blender's primary
target, animation is, so if there are to be any changes they should
result in something at least as usable for animators as the previous
system.

cheers,

Matt