[Bf-committers] First pure Cocoa version ! [Fwd: Re: Finally did it]

johnmadstone at yahoo.it johnmadstone at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 7 13:48:00 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I decided to forward to the mailing list my last email to Damien (the
lead maintainer of the current Mac Cocoa port) to make everybody aware
of the reasons of my complain about the Cocoa port organization.

First of all, I have to say that, even if it is clear that I do not like
GHOST, the point of the discussion is not if GHOST is good or bad.

In fact, the common decision, influenced by the main Blender Team
wishes, were to keep GHOST also for Mac.
The idea was to keep the GHOST C++ interface, and to provide the classes
for Cocoa specific implementation as it was done for Carbon.

Such classes are not Objective-C classes but C++ classes, compiled with
the Objective-C++ compiler: *.mm files to allow the call of Objective-C
methods and the use of Objective-C classes inside C++ code (or vice versa).

Though, I think that Ton and others are already aware of what is done.

The problem is that I am unable to work easily if the goal is: "Do it as
faster as possible!".
Reasons are explained in the email to Damien. My goal is: "Do it as
better as possible!".

Best regards

Marco Frisan, Triest