[Bf-committers] Texture properties weirdness

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Thu Nov 19 18:43:20 CET 2009

As I've been working with materials and texturing in 2.5 for the past
week, a weird interface notion keeps sticking out at me. When choosing
the texture type, certain panels enter and exit existence, which is
fine. The problem is that there is no visual distinction between which
panels in the texture window belong to the texture type, and which
belong to the texture slot. The fact that you can mix and match the
panel within the window doesn't help (i.e., I could put the Image
Mapping panel below the Influence panel). It seems to me that panels
that are dependent upon a particular texture type ought to have some
kind of indication that they "belong" to it. The time when this is most
surprising is the first time you fill a new texture channel, choose one
of your already created textures, and none of the slot-owned settings
come along for the ride.

Right now, when explaining this to someone learning Blender's
texturing/materials system, I'm left with saying "even though all of
things are in the same place, some of them are attached to the slot,
while others are attached to the Type choice in the topmost panel." It
just seems a clunky compared to the other great interface and
information display choices that have been made so far. Are sub-panels
an option?

--
Roland Hess
harkyman