[Bf-committers] Idea: deprecate the attribute access for user properties in the BGE

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Tue May 26 12:15:33 CEST 2009

My initial feeling was to keep the attribute style for the elegancy of
the syntax but after some thoughts, I come to agree with all Campbell's
points.
I had exactly the problem he describes when converting a game of mine to
the new API that would have been avoided if attributes and properties
were separated by syntax.
Another funny problem with my VideoTexture demo was the difficulty to
explain that in the expression "GameLogic.video.source", source is a
reserved name while video is not. Using the syntax
"GameLogic['video'].source" makes it much clearer.

I propose two options:
1) keep the attribute syntax for ever but with a "compiler" warning when
the user uses it (warning that can be turned off).
2) deprecate for 2.49 and suppress the attribute syntax for 2.50

I actually prefer the second option, for the efficiency and the
consistency of the API. A script to convert from the attribute syntax to
the dictionary syntax should be easy to use.

/benoit