[Bf-committers] Bundled Scripts 2.49

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 12:35:30 CEST 2009

Hi Brendon, Quick Script review, maybe the authors read this list -
otherwise can you contact the authors or change yourself.
My commends are below ***headings.***
For a few I have set as ***Rejecting/Undecided***, which means Id not
include if it were only my choice but would be ok if others have
strong reasons to add.

Most of the changes suggested are not so hard to make.

----- Proposed scripts to include -----

1/ 3D Cursor Menu by Mariano Hildango.

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/SpaceHandlers/3d_Cursor_Menu

**
* Rejecting ***
 - duplicate functionality with snap/cursor menu, spin view is
confusing and cant be disabled, space handler's are not that nice in
general for integrating into a workflow.

2/ANT Landscape Creator by Jimmy Haze.

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Wizards/ANTLandscape

**
* Accept ***
- Needs to redraw the 3D view after making the terrain.

3/ 2d Cutout Image Importer by Kevin Morgan

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Image/Import_2d_Cutout_Images

*** Accept ***
- needs a try/except for a failed image load

4/ Blender Mesh Attribute Editor by Ron Walker

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Scripts/Manual/Mesh/BMAE

*note, the folder BMAE should be in the scripts directory.

***Rejecting/Undecided***
- This script is involved but looks like its better suited to being in
a script-bundle since its not so general purpose

5/ Flatten by Mariano Hildango.

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Mesh/mesh_flatten_faces

***Accept***
- This script should be converted from NMesh to Mesh so it wont remove
UV and Vcol layers, its a small script so wont be hard.

6/ Spirals by Alex V

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Object/Spirals

***Accept***
- makes a new curve datablock when changing any setting, should re-use
the active curve. you can delete CurNurbs with "del curve[i]"
- Spiral should not always unset the active object, its disconcerting
when editing.

7/ Check Integrity by Yorik van Havre

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Object/Check_Integrity

***Rejecting***
- theres already a select non-manifold option in blenders select menu.

8/ Big Numbers Toolkit by Gwenael Le Page

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Toolkits/Object/Big_Numbers_Toolkit

***Rejecting/Undecided***

- Script purpose is very unclear
- reference blenderartist.org for docs is vague, could have a help
button opening wiki docs.

- Includes duplicate functionality from blender but odd names "Mimic
active object", where blender uses "Copy", "Select Same" instead of
blenders "Select Linked"
- Found 2 exceptions, (Opened, pressed "Animate", python script error
)
Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "=GwensBigNumbers1_12c", line 2464, in bevent

  File "=GwensBigNumbers1_12c", line 1826, in Animate

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'obj' referenced before assignment

----------------------------------------- (On editing the materials
buttons in the script - was waving my mouse over and holding enter :)
)
Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "=GwensBigNumbers1_12c", line 2157, in bevent

  File "=GwensBigNumbers1_12c", line 1457, in ModifyMat

TypeError: expected int argument in [1,511]

9/ GeomTool by Guillaume 'GuieA_7' Englert

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Mesh/Geom_Tool

***Accept***
- use active object, dont complain when multiple are selected

10/ SaltShaker by Rednuht

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Add/Saltshaker

***Accept/Undecided***
- Theres already a randomize loc/size/rot tool but this is a bit
different, am OK with including.

11/ Bolt Factory by Aaron Keith (Spudmn)

Documentation,

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Misc/Bolt_Factory

*** Accept ***

-default values need to be smaller. default bolts are huge, should be
roughly between  2.0 and 0.1.
-Move to wizards menu
-Found exception when making all values zero
  File "=Bolt_Factory_249.py", line 1362, in button_event

  File "=Bolt_Factory_249.py", line 1317, in Create_Bolt

  File "=Bolt_Factory_249.py", line 1257, in MakeBolt

  File "=Bolt_Factory_249.py", line 556, in add_Thread

Thanks, Brendon.

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that kind of things (additional scripts, fonts, materials, textures, ...) would be a lot better as a separate additional download. This makes it easier to package, distribute and update, meaning we wouldn't have to wait for a Blender release to update scripts in the pack.
>
> Although, if some (not a big number) scripts in that list are deemed generally useful and pass the quality checks, they could be added to the main release.
>
> Martin

- Campbell